Thursday, March 24, 2011

Your rejection "didn't work for me"

"Thanks for submitting this story, but I'm going to pass on it. It didn't quite work for me, I'm afraid. Best of luck to you placing this one elsewhere, and thanks again for sending it my way."

What is this?

What the hell does that mean?

"It didn't quite work for me"

I didn't send you the story to find out whether it worked.  I sent you the story to try and get it into your magazine.  I know my story works.  I want to find out if you'll publish it.


What I want from a rejection letter:
  • Notice that you will not be publishing my work
  • That's it.
This isn't the first time I've gotten this reply, either.  There was someone else who said "it didn't quite work for me".  Those EXACT words.  I'm not the only one

What is it with these editors that they think we really care about their opinions? No, we want to know if it's accepted.  If not, suggestions are nice.  If not, SHUT UP.

Also, I'm annoyed.

No comments:

Post a Comment