Monday, March 21, 2011

Writing a poem about poems

So this'll be what I finish my feature at Bloombars with.  Or, at least, the beginning of the poem:

(With papers in front of my face)

It started like this.
Paper face-mask
Clean like I’m not
Smooth like I’m not.
Balanced cautious rhyme and timing
On classical language foundations.
I indented lines.
I punctuated.  Interestingly.
I a-b-a-b-c-c’d
I a-a-b-b-c-c-d-d’d
Shoot, I even used QUATRAINS.

It's an edited version of a much more corny poem about the change from a nervous poet to, I guess, a slam poet.  Because those are opposites.
Honestly, I've found myself having a hard time writing anything but spoken word-type stuff.  I mean, with poetry at least.  Fiction is still the same overwrought silliness that it's always been.  I'm not sure if this is an evolution in my style or if I need to control it.  I feel like at a certain point I'm just going to be going on stages and talking.  Like "Oh man, you know what I don't like? Grapefruit.  Why do people eat grapefruit? Even Tropicana's up on that business, selling Grapefruit juice.  You don't see Tropicana hydrochloric acid, why would they sell grapefruit juice?"

I think there's a poem there.  BRB, gonna go throw away everything I know about poetry and write about fruit.

No comments:

Post a Comment