Tuesday, December 21, 2010

What's up, dog?

Get it? What's up, dog?

Yoga joke.  Because I'm such a fucking yoga freak now.  Not at all.

But I did yoga today and it prompted me to write a THIRD entry, because my life is boring.

I'll tell you something, this yoga stuff is interesting.  It's spread pretty far pretty fast.  It seems like they're using it for everything.  Learn to cook better through yoga! Dying of stab wounds? Try Yoga! Lost your faith? Yoga it out! Flesh-eating bacteria? You're gonna Yoga that shit up.

And I'm not big on fads, they tend to very quickly outgrow their usefulness.  See: Organic.  But making people step out and do some physical activity, get in touch with their bodies and not be afraid to relax for a few minutes...that I have to give props to.

I had a weird moment in yoga today where I had to cradle my leg close to my chest.  The feeling was not unlike being stuck in a small room with someone you don't know very well.  I was like "Hey, what's up, leg.  Nice...uh...weather here, right? Yeah, any plans for the holidays?"

I realize we don't get a chance to talk to our bodies often.  Just like we don't get the chance to talk to our cars or screwdrivers.  It's kind of a means to an end.  Our bodies are there to satisfy the brain's desires.  Get us from point A to point B, make us feel good about buying an expensive dinner because, hell, at least we got sex out of it.  In fact, some times it seems like we're at odds.  My body wants to sleep, but I really just want to go to this party.  My body is hungry, but, goddammit, you just ate an hour ago.

I think we need the time with our body.
Look at your hands.
See the scar, there
The one you got making a sandwich
But you told that girl last night was from a knife fight.
"Very small knives"
Look, your feet, there.
They're a little big
But mom always said big feet, big heart.
Or something like that.
Your nose, I mean, it's a little big
And it gets all red in the cold sometimes
But, it's nice where it is.  Kind of draws attention away from...you know, all the rest.
And your eyes.
They're a little bleary now
They have more baggage than your last girlfriend, ha ha ha ha
But they face forward mostly.
Never seem to stray far.
Your hair falls in waves, receding now,
The beach of your scalp starting to show.

Look at yourself sometime.
It's kind of surprising how much you miss.

No comments:

Post a Comment