Wednesday, April 27, 2011

NaPoWriMo 27/30: Crazyland

This got emotional, real fast.  It's also a true story.  Weird, huh? Maybe my life is interesting, who knew?


Crazyland.
A planet floating lonely in the middle of space
Or, floating surrounded by other planets
It depended on how social I was feeling.
It spun slowly,
But sometimes quickly,
Because there’s no astronomy in third grade
And I didn’t know what gravity was,
How it pulled invisibly at all times
And kept everything close to the ground
Like some cosmic lawnmower.
Crazyland
Where hamburgers have meat instead of buns
(Yes, KFC stole my idea)
Crazyland
Where everyone has electric yellow hair
And loves to jump off buildings
Because in Crazyland,
There is no pain.
Everyone’s friendly
Because everyone’s the same.
I was a third-grader
Spending time doodling mythologies
Instead of listening to the teacher.
Because in Crazyland,
There’s no Revolutionary War,
People solve their problems
With eating contests,
The last one standing wins!

Teachers yelled in the way
That people in Crazyland never did,
Took my notebooks and gave me detention.
And walking alone down the halls,
I decided people in Crazyland didn’t walk
They took flying cars,
Crashed them just because
Hurried off and got new ones.
They never did run out
Because Crazyland didn’t have economics
There was always supply,
People didn’t have to demand.

One day detention was a bright-colored room
Ruled by a bright-colored woman
Who smiled red-lipstick fresh masters degree,
Handed me a too-blank piece of paper,
And asked me to draw.
This?
This was like ice cream for dinner,
Like late-night shows instead of bedtime,
Like the whole set of Ninja Turtles action figures,
Like skipping baths, skipping school,
Running barefoot in a sunlit backyard
And sticking my hands into every dark hole,
Squishing mud and insects between my fingers.

This was Crazyland’s patron saint.
I drew until she ran out of paper,
Then I drew short-hand revisions,
I talked until my throat hurt,
Downed an apple juice
And talked some more.

The blonde-haired angel asked questions,
Took notes,
Put the stamp of adult approval on my dreams
And Crazyland,
Well,
Crazyland got crowded.
I started listening in school
Just for new material.
George Washington rode a horse through Crazyland City streets,
Planes shaped like multiplication signs did acrobatics in the air,
Tom Saywer led a rebellion of angry parallelograms
Against the tyranny of the vegetable-heavy food pyramid.
I came prepared each session
And each session she listened,
Filled her notebooks with words I couldn’t understand,
But probably wouldn’t fit in Crazyland anyway.

I came for session one day and she frowned,
Put a hand on my head like it were something very fragile,
And said she couldn’t see me anymore.
I assumed, of course, Crazyland had gotten, well, a bit out of hand, I know.
But I had laid out a railroad,
Coal-powered, of course,
And it could carry off some of the excess.
I proposed it to her for a few days after,
Came bursting through her door
While she scribbled furiously over other kids.
Look,
I told her,
You’re in here too.
I had drawn her, as best I could,
Stick-figured, puffy blonde curls,
Put someone flesh-and-blood into a world of smudged crayon.
She shooed me out,
Locked the door.
This was hard to understand,
Crazyland, after all, had no locks.

Years later, I learned another word for crazy.
Mentally Ill.
Psychotic.
Hyperactive.
Learned that there were square pegs
And the world was a series of round holes.
There were doctors like straight-razors,
They could shape you just right,
They wore white coats, sometimes,
Other times, they wore bright blonde hair.

My parents didn’t believe in medication for children,
And they told my grade school as much.
Forced them to abandon pre-written pre-scriptions
Technological Treatments Tailored
To wash the streets of Crazyland,
Restore balance,
Order,
Sanity.

1/4 of children under the age of 16
Suffer from hyperactive disorders
Characterized by distractibility,
Disorganized behavior,
And excessive talking.
Suggested treatment includes
Ritalin, Adderal, Provigil, Strattera
And, ha ha, talk therapies.
Untreated, ADHD can cause difficulties in adolescence,
Reduce chances of graduating High School
And lead to a life of crime, depression
And spoken word poetry.

My parents said “He’s just a kid”
So the school never fixed me.
And even though I’ve learned astronomy
Learned the constant pull of gravity.
I remember Crazyland
And sometimes
I put it to the test.

No comments:

Post a Comment