Friday, April 1, 2011

ALSO: NaPoWriMo DAY 1

Since, honestly, I don't have enough going on in my life, what with the Beltway Grand Slam coming up, the month-and-a-half West Coast trip, the move to Baltimore and the starting of my intensive MPH program...

Scratch that.  Since, honestly, I hate myself, I've decided to take up the challenge of NaPoWriMo.  National Poem Writing Month.  Where I have to write a poem a day for all of April or consider myself a failure forever.  I'm doing it with the rest of the DC peeps, so anyone interested should definitely sign up here.

But anyway, this is day one.  I'm probably not going to post everything I write, but for now I'm excited about it (and actually getting it done) so enjoy:

(The italics are sung to the tune of "God Bless America".  That's right.)

While stormclouds gather across the sea
Stormclouds!
Like the specter of revolution
Spreading from Egypt
Like the plague of locusts
Stormclouds!
Like socialized medicine
Spreading from…
Well…
Every first world economy.
And most second world ones.
But there’s nothing more American
Than dying from easily curable diseases.

Let us swear allegiance to a land that’s free!
Free like your choice between paper or plastic
Like you can have your toilet paper quilted
Like you can have your Oreos in 100-calorie-doses!
Free like expressing yourself
Within the negotiated boundaries of your permit
And not too loud,
People are sleeping.

Let us all be grateful for a land so fair!
Fair like giving personhood to corporations
And taking it away from Mexicans!
Fair like the beaches of the Gulf…
Um..
Fair like skyscrapers!
Like super-highways!
Like mega-malls!
Fair like thick gray fogs
Because honestly you can see blue skies anywhere!

As we raise our voices in a solemn prayer.
CHRISTIAN prayer.
George WASHINGTON founded our country.
Not George HUSSEIN.
Or George Feldman.

God Bless America
Land that I love
Like a woman.
But not sexually.
Not until marriage.

Stand beside her, and guide her
Through the night with a light from above.
The light of Democracy
We shine like beacons
Like…
Like the end of assault rifles
Like the burning tails of ICBMs
We deliver barrages of freedom
Rain liberty like hellfire
Roll tank-tread jack-boots
Over countries with strange names
And we never are to blame
And we never are ashamed
We are stars and stripes and flame

From the mountains,
Especially ones with coal
To the prairies
Except during the dust bowl.
To the oceans, white with foam
And factory run-off!

God Bless Americaaa
And FUCK everyone else!

No comments:

Post a Comment