Thursday, January 13, 2011

"Bad News for Good Families"

Tentative title.  Working on it.  Suggestions? (This question posed to the zero people that currently follow my blog)

Snippet:
My family treats bad news like cat litter.  It will be wrapped up and dumped discreetly in the back.  It is accepted as a consequence of ownership of life, like ownership of a cat.  Shit happens.  No need to leave it stinking.

...

                No one ever discussed it.  The next morning, Jason was next to me at breakfast, looking at his cereal with the same forlorn look he had had since Amber broke up with him.  The incident would pass without mention and Jason would find a new girl and everything would go back to normal.  I was thirteen and hadn’t quite outgrown the awe-struck respect for my parents.  Seeing this return to regularity from the brink of chaos made me view them as guardians of order.  No matter what the forces of chaos might lay on our doorstep, they were eternally disinterested.

Awkward family moments? Traumatic memories? Racist grandmothers? You want it, we got it!

Now if only this shit wasn't 5,000 words...

No comments:

Post a Comment