Friday, June 3, 2011

Dia Quatro: Overheard in Madrid

Said angrily: "Siempre estas allegre!"
"You are always happy!"

This was said by a hipster boy (Yes, hipsterism is an international disease.  They are called "modernos" here.) to a hipster girl.  Which strikes me as weird.  Because hipster people aren't supposed to EVER be happy.

It's also a strange thing to say angrily.  "You're so happy, I can't stand it anymore!" I fantasized that the guy was breaking up with the girl, saying he just can't be with a girl that's going to ruin his carefully manicured sense of self-loathing with her "happiness" and "general good will towards things".

No, the world is awful and you're awful for being happy in it.

I went to the Museo Nacional de Anthropologia today.  It cost three euros and consisted of three small exhibits of the drums of various indigenous cultures.

Try as I might, I couldn't think of the polite way to say "I want my fucking money back."

2 comments: