Tuesday, November 23, 2010

A problem I have. Or a problem everyone else has.

So, not to sound egotistical, but I think I'm the least egotistical person in the world.

That may be a lie.  As exemplified by the fact that I have a blog.  It is an intrinsic belief for anyone who has blog that their opinion is more important than most other people's.  Compounded by the fact that I'm a writer trying to get published.  Ego becomes a kind of necessity.  If not a commodity.

But sometimes I can't help but get pissed off at people grasping for some cross to bear.

This is the focus of a poem that I've been trying to put together about how hard it is for a middle-class white male to find the crutch on which they can blame everything.  It's a real issue! I mean, the suicide rate for white men is higher than other ethnicities and "suicide experts" say that it's because whites are socialized to be in control and lack the "coping mechanisms" of other ethnicities.  Of course, they're not sure.  But, what is science if not a collection of hearsay and claims grounded in typical social roles?

They teach that shit in psychology textbooks.  I'll tell you what, I spent 30 minutes researching that and didn't find a single goddamn source.  You'd think they'd interview a few white people before putting that out into the world.  I mean, it wouldn't be hard.  We whites are everywhere.

We're all searching for the reason
The reason we didn't get that job
The reason our girlfriend left us
Our kids hate us
Our government fails us
Our stomach hurts.
Privilege was the worst gift we gave to ourselves
We've never been more miserable
Now we have 24-hour news
And wikipedia
To look up worldwide miseries and be damned if we don't make it our own
Sure, we wear Levi's
But we CARE about Chinese labor.

Or something like that.  It's really convenient to have a crutch, a black guy, a God to blame our troubles on.  And so we'll try and solve the puzzle outside ourselves.  Because we can't reach it inside of us.  We don't know what we'll touch.

No comments:

Post a Comment