Tuesday, November 2, 2010

The best free concert I've ever been to

(Image from here)

So I'll try and keep this short.

I went to the rally Saturday with no real expectations.  I found myself a combination of disappointed and impressed.  Disappointed because, I realized, I actually did have expectations.  I expected some amount of rally or some degree of march.  Instead I got a concert.  A fantastic concert, to be sure, and free, which was enough to make the calvalcade of misery that was my trip home worth it.  But the political message was confused, if there even was one.

For example:


This sign was being handed out like it was free brownies.  I felt offended, though I'm not exactly sure why.  It seemed they were hijacking the message of the rally.  But the rally didn't really have a message, so they were just tacking their cause onto anything they could find.  Which seems about right for pothead activists.

But honestly, the more I think about it, the more I really did like Jon Stewart's closing remarks.  And the more I liked the idea of just prompting people to show up and show that not everyone's crazy.  It was a move against the media, which aims to paint everything in technicolor.  And I can kind of respect that.
Not to mention, watching a little Jewish man from New Jersey booming his voice over a crowd of 200,000 was kind of a neat sight to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment